Open all year round, Charleston House is perfectly situated on the infamous North Coast 500 (NC500) route overlooking Flowerdale Bay, and brings you the best in modern comfort within one of the oldest period buildings in the area.
Charleston House was built in 1776 and is one of the oldest, continuously inhabited buildings in the Gairloch area. It was built by a fish merchant from the east coast of Scotland (possibly Aberdeen), named Charles Cumming. His Christian name was given to the house and the area—Charles Town.
Originally there was a residence on the top two floors of the house, with the ground floor giving over to fishing purposes—a net store and possibly a fish curing room. The dual purpose of the property also explains why the garden of the house is relatively small to the size of the house. In the garden of the house was a fishing shed, later a bakery.
Following World War II, the house has been run as a boarding house, inn and restaurant, and more latterly as a holiday let. Purchased by the current owners in early 2017, the house was given a thorough renovation, turning it into its new guise as a luxury boutique licensed guest house.
Apart from the exterior staircase and new entrance, the present exterior of the house is as it was in the 18th century.